Friday, August 05, 2005

Alpharetta, here I come!

I'm really excited about going to Alpharetta on Monday, and the Invention Essay may give you some indication of WHY. It will be really nice to teach at a school where the students can read and write. Some people are going to take issue with this, and say why did you become an educator if you did not want to educate. I spit on those people! Pah! Seriously, I will teach anyone anything but I can't teach you to read and write in SAT class. That doesn't work. See if you don't get a headache from reading this.
Well, in other news, we went to a party a couple of weekends ago with Karen's son Chris (!) who is a jerk- to put it politely- and an expulsory orifice not exposed in public to put it not so politely. I was hugely impressed by the fact that this party was at someone's house and there must have been at least 300 people there; I estimated based on counting the number of people on the deck and then considering that there were equal numbers of people in the living room, dining room, basement, bedrooms, and carport, and a lot of people were coming and going. Also no one got extremely drunk (except for the aforementioned Chris) and acted stupid, which surprised me; when I had parties with my college age friends they could always be counted on to get very drunk and act silly, especially me. Well, I didn't drink anything, because they didn't have anything but Icehouse and PBR to drink, and all the people there were like 20 or 21, and nice, but- very young. Chris DID get drunk, or drunkER, and then wanted to fight people (as usual) and I thought we should go home. Trey agreed, but then when we got to the car Trey says, the Party's just starting! No, it wasn't, it was two in the morning and time to take Chris home before he annoyed anyone further. Chris then wanted to stay, but I coaxed them both into the car, and then on the way home Trey kept pointing out bars and other places they could go, and thought they should go then. No, that would not have been a good idea. We also had a nice dinner party at home last week; several people came, like my Mom, Dad, Alex, Ian, Trasmine, Freomi, Sandy, and Pam and Bob. Daniel was having some kind of fit, possibly related to the fact that I cook better than he does and he knows it. We had salad, duck with Chicken liver pear and candied orange stuffing, cauliflower broccoli flan, polenta with bacon wrapped shrimp, cheese tortellini, and peach cobbler and Pam and Bob brought a cheesecake. Sandy also told the neighbour where to step off and we discovered, hitherto unknown to us, that you can park in front of their house as long as you do not block their driveway . Heh heh. I wanted to invite Rob and his boyfriend but Trey said if I invited Rob, he would ask him all the explicit details of our sex last summer in front of my mom and dad so I thought that might be a less than stellar idea.
O and the difference between men and women- summed up- one weekend Cathy called me and wanted to go to Lake Burton. Fine, I said, I wasn't really doing anything else. So we get in her car and drive all the way up to Lake Burton, and Cathy is hungry. We look for a place to eat on the lake. The first place we see is a pizza place, and to me it looks nice, andthere are many cars in the lot which is a good sign. But Cathy wants to eat ON the lake, or so she says. So we look some more and stop at some bar-food type place called Joni's but it is hot and rather expensive. So we look for the restaurant Cathy was thinking of, but that has burnt down, according to the owners of a Texaco. I suggest the original pizza place. What do you think Cathy does? She makes a moue of disgust and says- quite seriously- I don't want to eat in a YELLOW building.
I suppose I really don't need to point out that no man- on earth- would EVER utter that particular sentence.
We also got frogs, from Freomi's house, and they are very cute and sit in a little tank in the kitchen. I had not previously considered this deeply, but people pay good money for frogs! They had them for sale at PetSmart, where the same sort of frogs we got cost $20.00. EACH. And Naomi wanted to give them away for FREE. (She does not like frogs.) The only problem with the frogs is that they have to be fed crickets, and now I am paying good money for bugs, which everyone knows we have in abundance around the house. It's hard, however, to catch the roaches without smashing them, and the frogs won't eat things that don't move.
We also went to some restaurant for Naomi's birthday called Chow Baby. It's somewhat peculiar- it's something like a salad bar, but instead of just salad, you pick a starch, like noodles or rice, and then pick vegetables, sauces, a meat, seasonings, and then they stir-fry it for you and bring it to your table. I had a few issues with this concept because I did not know what would taste nice together or how much to use- how do I know whether Asian Pesto goes with Hoisin Ginger? So mine was not very nice; I made two things and they were both too salty but it's an interesting concept.
We have also had refrigerator drama- I was going to say we have had all manner of refrigerator drama, but there isn't really any variation on refrigerator drama. Either it works, or it doesn't. Well, ours stopped working, and so this caused my mom to get all upset and worked up. I tried to buy a new one, which I did not want to do, since when Freddy returns from vacation he can repair it. I can live with a broken refrigerator; however, she cannot live with the thought of my refrigerator being broken. I think Trey's Zen has rubbed off on me. Zen being used in this instance for shorthand for forgot to give a care. Anyway, so I got dragged into buying a new one, which cost 538 including delivery, and then they tried to bring it but didn't want to bring it around the side of the house and so abandoned the project and left me with the old refrigerator, and I promptly called someone and they came and sort of repaired it, which cost 224. It still isn't getting as cold as I think it should. This resulted in a long argument with Ma (what doesn't?) She seemed to think, for some reason, a broken refrigerator is some sort of insurmountable crisis and that no one could fix it and that it was a huge tragedy or something. She seemed to think if they could not deliver the refrigerator through the back door, the thing to do would be to put the refrigerator in the living room. That is daft; would you put a toilet in your living room? She would. Then she got mad because I got all sarcastic with her when she went on and on about retrieving the food from Alex's fridge, and she made some comment about how "these sort of things only happen to you," so I said, do you mean that because of my depravity and or stupidity the refrigerator took umbrage (that's a big word, Alex, look it up) and decided to cease functioning? What do you mean? So she didn't understand why I was talking nonsense (!) . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home