Monday, February 14, 2005

And They Lived Happily Ever After

We have had mostly a lovely Valentine's weekend up to this point; Friday we went to Brasserie Le Coze in Lenox for dinner- and it was Rather Good- not EXQUISITE, but still rather good- and then today Trey is taking me to dinner at the Watershed. Which is more than enough. He also got me a 2 year subscription to Bon Appetit and filled up the car's tank with petrol- he got, for those people who are competitive about such things, a subscription to National Geographic, the movie A Streetcar Named Desire, which he likes, a Jimi Hendrix CD, a Ministry of Sound CD, and a portable CD player and some batteries.
Actually, I don't give a flip about people who are competitive about such things. If Trey had the $, he would buy me more stuff. But he doesn't, and I don't expect it. Also I think that if I were in this relationship expecting Stuff, I would have been sadly disappointed a long time ago, and I am tired of explaining this to Material Girls. Relationships are about how someone makes you feel, and I feel plenty Romantic on a daily basis without having to Fake It with flowers (which Trey is indifferent to) or chocolate (which we have quite a lot of already, and he isn't supposed to be eating) or whatever. I, personally, feel Deep Feelings of Love when someone else does some loathsome and tedious chore that I cannot stand, like mow the lawn or vacuum. It makes my little heart go pitty-pat when someone (Trey) cleans up the bedroom or does the dishes. Oooh, and he knows how to put the MAN in RoMANtic as well, which I deeply appreciate.
I wonder why there seem to be so many people who seek things from their relationships that they really should be getting outside of those relationships; it's like seeking emotional bonding through work (well, a lot of people do that, don't they?). Why do so many people think that they should seek non-relationship goals through their relationships, like money? If I want more money, status, etc., isn't the proper way to reach that through a JOB? Marriage doesn't have the same meaning that it used to- we shouldn't be approaching it through the lens of the vestiges of what it was 40 or more years ago. My fate is not inextricably tied to my partner's.
Naturally, it would be easier- but every relationship involves some trade offs and I'd rather trade passion for predictability.
What else did we do? We went to the Opera this weekend with ROB, whom Trey is still having fits about- he is all jealous, which Rob found amusing- It was a lovely opera, La Boheme- although I still prefer Mma Butterfly- and we ate nicely beforehand at Baraonda, although I felt that $16 was a little steep for 5 raviolis, delicious though they may have been. Particularly as they came with no garnish or <> like artichokes or mushrooms or anything, they were just plain in a sauce. Jen and Alex also came to the Opera, and they claim to have enjoyed it, although Jen got all mad when I said if she ate bread pudding she would get fat and have to eat a tapeworm like Maria Callas. I don't think it's fair that she mocks other people mercilessly and can't take it herself. Unlike myself- I mock people mercilessly but don't care what people say about me, or Trey, who does NOT like people to make fun of him and never says anything hurtful to anyone else.
We watched the movie Dispense Me gave us, which is HER favourite movie, Y Tu Mama Tambien, which I did not care for; I think the main reason that I did not like it was that the two young characters seemed spoilt and annoying; they didn't lead Interesting Inner Lives or were Battling Weighty Demons or were Mysterious and Darkly Conflicted; they didn't even do anything during the movie. It was rather like one of my duller dreams, the kind in which Trey tells me that the seatback on the car is broken again and I am mildly annoyed, and complain, or the dreams in which I go to Kroger to buy milk. Not Movie- worthy. The two main characters, both teenagers, smoked a lot of pot and made fart jokes and had sex (although not with each other) and then there was their cousin, who was from Spain, broke up with her husband and went to the beach with them. I don't really need to see other people be debauched- it is not exciting, I have done enough of it myself- and I daresay I am a little more exciting when I am a Bad Little Gin Blossom and start yelling about non-existent fluorescent lights, at least that is unexpected. But this movie was like watching the boring parts from everyone's home movies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

You're drunken exploits can certainly be noteworthy. I remember the night I first hung out with you, that blond girl, That Alam guy and the Barbi twins. You drank 4 bottles of amaretto, straight, while everyone but me yelled "Chug, biatch! Chug, biatch!" Well, everyone but me and Alam, who yelled something in Spanish, and I think it was something about tumbleweed. Anyway, we ended up driving all the way to the shore, where you insisted endlessly that there was an "oracle" that could tell you exactly what Annie Lennox was thinking about at that very moment (which you were sure was a tuna fish sandwich with cherry vitamins--we told you that no one eats tuna fish with cherry vitamins, but well, that's just how crazy you were)... We finally made it to the shore and you wandered off. We found you fucking a latex glove and yammering about how you were creating another Earth because this one had washed off with last Sunday's paper in the tide. And then you passed out. We all awoke to the sound of you violently regurgitating a few hours later.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

okay, so you weren't saying I was fat, just that I didn't need any bread pudding...it's a sensitive subject with me SORRY! Yes, I love to dish it, but I also don't push the envelope!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home