Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Strokes Concert

The supposed highlight of my birthday was that Trey stood in line for 7 hours, starting at 3 in the morning, to get me Strokes tickets. My immediate response, when I woke up at 10 on Saturday and found he had disappeared, was to say no I would not go, because the concert was at 9 on Monday night. Then I consulted Alex about this, and he was greatly envious, so I thought I should take advantage of this and not be such a stick in the mud. As if this job is worth giving up my ENTIRE LIFE over; it's worth a lot, to be sure, but I should be able to do a few things occasionally. I decided I would go and have a Virtual Sub day, meaning that I am there, but I give the students assignments that I would ordinarily leave for a Substitute. If someone is going to wait in line for 7 hours, you had best do whatever they waited in queue for that long to do for you. Also Trey didn't have any money, so he had to sing and dance to earn enough money to pay for the tickets (which were only $12 each.) You have no idea how happy I am I did not have to witness this; I would have died of embarrassment. There were supposedly only 300 tickets sold.

Well, I nearly DID die of embarrassment anyway; more about that later. I saw one of my students at the concert, he said Hello Mr. Thomas! And I got all excited, I was happy. I was hanging out with the Young instead of the Old and Boring. My classes were impressed that I was going to see the Strokes. The concert was Standing Room Only, and very very crowded- there may have been only 300 tickets SOLD but then there must have been a lot available through other means- and the way it was set up only about 6 people in the very front could actually see the band. The rest of us could just see the backs of the rest of the audience's heads.
And it was hot, too, and I got claustrophobic. The band didn't start until quite late, about 40 minutes late- they were good, but I couldn't understand what the lead singer was supposed to be singing- and my student said he was drunk, which I believe. It was OK, I would do it again- but not with Trey. A lot of people at the concert were drinking A LOT, which made me wonder why go to a concert to get smashed? If you need to get smashed, do it somewhere else.
Trey (the singing cowboy) proceeded to get smashed. Once the concert was over, he did not want to leave; in fact, he refused. I want to hang out here! He insisted, and then he lay flat on his back on the pavement and refused to move. I struggled with him for a while and then I got his keys out of his pocket and went home and left him there. I don't feel I have to put up with this, and if you think I'm a bad person for that, tough. It was late and the concert was over.

I do think I would like to go to more concerts, like Death Cab for Cutie, but I definitely do not want to go with Trey.

On a completely unrelated note, I discovered if you have trouble going to sleep, envision Aqua Follies set to Mozart, especially the Marriage of Figaro. It is extremely relaxing. Has anyone previously combined the two genres? That would be excellent! Also if anyone can think of movies in which the Aqua Follies appear, I would like to see more of them. Leave me a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home