Monday, August 17, 2009

Numbers are Inherently Meaningless

Alex is apparently jealous of my Facebook fandom.

He said something about all the people I had "brainwashed."

"Every time you post," he said, "everyone's like, you're so cool! We agree! It's 'cos you brainwashed them."

Well don't hate me because I'm beautiful and smart. Or do, that kind of hate I can take. Even if it is from the neighbours.

Alex had done an interesting job of shaving himself, as in he had also left large unshaven spots under his chin. It was like, if you had a relative, in care, who was being shaved like that, you'd have a prima facie case for negligence. (aren't you happy I talk like that now? Not really.)

Alex reported that he did not care. He had just gone to church he said, and all the people there were dead anyway.

But then why bother at all? He looks like the professor who makes me hungry, all -the-whole-personal-grooming-thing is just not happening. He is supposed to be the normal, I live in a ranch house and eat Cheerios kind of normal person in our family. Not another person who saves used napkins and airs out potatoes in the yard, on the dirt, or saves their used chicken bones in the freezer to boil them up, make soup and then a collage with them. Ok? No.

We tried to take pictures of this but he was fidgeting so they didn't come out.

Then he attempted to criticise me because of my firm position against numbers. I have been frequently quoted as saying, "Numbers are inherently meaningless," because - they are! For example: Your house address could just as well be one number as any other! It doesn't matter which number you affix to it, just as long as it's consistent! The temperature is all dependent on which scale you use, it could just as well be 19 as 73.

Alex objects. "Well," he says, "for example, if you tell Joe, I have 5 apples-"

I (naturally) interrupt him. "Do you have conversations like this?" I ask. "Do you normally go around telling Joe, I have 5 apples, how many apples do you have, and Joe says, I have 3 apples, no you (well, perhaps he does?) do not!"

Alex is forced to concede this point.

"Robin" also dislikes my "Numbers are inherently meaningless" position, particularly when he asks me how far away something is or how long something will take and I tell him, "Four Blocks."

I learnt this from Rob; once we were walking somewhere and someone came up to him and asked him how far something was and he said "Four blocks" and they were satisfied and went away, so now that is what I say when people ask me similar questions.

"But if you were supposed to be paid $1000 and you got paid $4, that number wouldn't be meaningless," he argues.

"But it's not the NUMBER in that case I'm interested in, it's the MEANING of the number," I say. "It's what I could BUY with that number that I'm interested in, whether the number be 1000 or 4. It could be 4 gold coins, for example."

Then today at Georgia State there was no PARKING because of a *^%$#@ baseball game, and I will tell you in great and loving detail what exactly I think they should do with their baseball. I had to park at my externship. It was the distance I would walk if I were in a good mood and good weather but I was in the wrong sort of bad mood to want to walk that far.

O and "Robin" read my blog. "95% of it was funny," he said, "but 5% of it was (somewhat objectionable). I'm glad I don't read it that often."

And I forgot to write that he pretended he was drunk the last night in St. Augustine, imitating me.

"blah blah bloo blooooo blooooooo!" he sang. (I had been singing "Syracuse" at Halloween, and this was what he thought it sounded like.) "Robin" had neglected the fine line between imitating "drunk" and imitating "retarded." "Drunk" generally involves many declarations of love. I should be drunk more so that he has a better idea how to imitate me, but I rather doubt he will agree to this.

Mr. Peabody is apparently no longer speaking to me which- that's his loss, I think!

My new friend suggested that things would be easier if we could beam ourselves places, to which I said I would beam my naked self onto you. That ability would create a whole new area of law, wouldn't it? Imagine all the awful old fatties that would want to beam themselves onto me. I would not like that. I guess you'd have to have a card and have someone agree to receive you but still, there would be many instances of fraudulent/deceptive beaming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home