Monday, June 21, 2010

The F-Word

Recently, I have been noticing that the f-word seems to be popping up a lot, particularly in reference to Sarah Palin.

No, not THAT f-word, I mean the f-word, feminist, as in, is she or isn't she?

So my question is, exactly how are these people defining "feminist?" My understanding of "feminist" was the kind of woman who refused to be behind a great man but wanted to be great herself. But the modern definition of feminist seems to revolve entirely around women who are angry at men and have some kind of chip on their shoulder and also must believe in abortion.

I don't agree with this. Why wouldn't Palin be a feminist? Do you have to go rail against the patriarchy to be a positive role model? She became governor of Alaska and then managed to make it from being a failed vice presidential candidate to a major media phenomenon, and how many other failed vice presidential candidates have gone on to do anything?

She may not be smart in the Constitutional law professor, Hillary Clinton, Condi Rice I-read-lots-of-books-and-am-familiar-with-theories, but on second thought, what good are all these theories anyway? Theories have been the cause of most of the distress of human kind. You have to be able to practice it. And whatever anyone says, the woman is very shrewd, to be able to go from failed vice presidential candidate to a major media figure.

I am somewhat tempted to ask the lady lawyers about this but have decided not to so as not to offend anyone. See, Alex, I am capable of not offending people. Just not you.

What else have I been doing? I didn't get that job i was hoping for, which- that was really disappointing. I really did like the job, and it has taken me MONTHS to get that far. I just want to be EMPLOYED already.

I had to buy a new laptop after the previous one started acting up: there is something loose inside it, and when it is on a perfectly flat level surface it is fine. Then if you take it off that surface, it freezes up and stops working. So I took the laptop to the repair place and they said that the motherboard was going out and it wasn't worth replacing. Also the desktop has gone down for some reason. It got Fed-exed to Robin, and I am not entirely sure what he is doing with it.

And Anthony cleaned up my whole yard and then got arrested for texting Ruth he was sorry.

O, and I went blackberry picking with Amber and Alex and Jen on Saturday.

I enjoyed this!

Then we had a variety of car drama last week: Dad's low coolant light came on, he had to take it in, get the water pump replaced, the Cadillac had to have its water pump replaced, then the lower radiator hose- I had them replace it, and then I was driving to visit a Friend and it came off, and the car started stalling and then issued billows of steam.

So I spent part of Saturday night and a good bit of Sunday tugging on two long, black, hard hoses which spewed.

I made sure I texted Alex this. Alex has thus far not responded, so I am thinking he needs to hear more details about this, and I am also thinking he needs to experience it in interpretive dance. The first interpretive dance will be "Le Tuyau de Radiateur Mal Installe Par Rick."

Despite the fact that I dance like a refrigerator.

Well. So this chap is, believe it or not, actually responding to my texts and claims to be hugely into me. And he is hot, and not creepy looking, and has a car, crib, and career, so I am like,

"Are you a unicorn?" Seriously, because, it should not be all that hard to meet someone decent, but it is, or you meet someone decent, and then they don't call you back, etc. . . and this chap thinks I am fascinating and intellectually challenging and I can have great conversations with him (much of which consist of compliments to me, so do I mind this? No I do not.) OMG, and he knows who Tennyson was, and my ardor was only slightly dampened by discovering Alex knows who Tennyson was also.

But yes. He is a unicorn. He has one horn, and I am magically able to make it grow.

My main concern right now is that it is like the size of a red bull can. I could barely get any of it into my mouth. It was like, normally, they're like a Geo Metro, but this was the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. It was the Sam's Club Giant Economy Size. I do not know in the least how I am going to get it in there. This did not, of course, stop us/me from inventing new and sexy ways to have fun, which I will have to describe and demonstrate for Alex in great detail. So yes, he is coming for dinner this evening and I will prepare, after asking him what he eats/doesn't eat- Freddy is a picky eater! Did you know this? He won't eat capers or olives! - smoked salmon with cream cheese and cucumber on ryvita, salad, potato salad and sausage, and then Clafoutis with blackberries for dessert.

Like that's worked before. But I keep trying. Could it really be that this one will be different?

I will try! I am feeling somewhat insecure about this so I am not going to write all of the things I would like to. Also, gushiness is not really one of Cruella's prime traits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home