Monday, May 31, 2010

I PASSED THE BAR! ! !

So that was some serious awesomeness right there. Thank you God for making it possible and thank you to everyone around me who put up with this crap through this long! It has not been fun for most of the people around me, because I complained more than ever, but I had a lot to complain about.

Yes. I cried a little. It was that kind of crazy emotional moment, because, I had spent like weeks and weeks, and weeks, going through that Hell, and yes, I do believe taking both the Kaplan class and Bar/Bri made the difference.

Like I would have sat down and read about commercial paper on my own. I didn't do every single question in the books, nor did I do the majority of the questions, and I didn't spend a huge amount of time on the essays.

Lest you say, hey, Cruella slacked! Therefore I can too! But I did not, in fact, slack. I did spend a lot of time with the multiple choice questions, I did spend some time- 2-3 days with the essays, and did the sample Bar/Bri essay and sent it in and so forth.

Mainly, I made flash cards. Meaning that, for the main points of law, especially the ones that I missed from the multiple choice questions, I looked up the explanations and then wrote out a card for the point of law. It looks like this:

It has the broad subject material on the left, so this one says, Contracts on the left vertically, across the top, it has the narrow subject material, in this case, Statute of frauds- Land. Then on the front, in one colour ink, (brown) it has the point of law written in sentences with blanks, so it says, Contract for sale of land must be ________________ and ______________ by the party to be ________________.
Exception is doctrine of _______________ performance.
1) ____________ payment accepted by seller or 2) _______________ in possession of the land and has made ____________ payment 3)________________ is in _________________ of land and has made _____________ _____________ thereon.

Then on the back, it has all that written in orange, and the blanks filled in in red, so I will do this with italics here.

Contract for sale of land must be in writing and signed by the party to be charged .
Exception is doctrine of part performance.
1) full payment accepted by seller or 2) buyer in possession of the land and has made partial payment 3) buyer is in possession of land and has made valuable improvements thereon.

OMG! I can't believe I knew all that stuff at one time! Insane!

I made hundreds and hundreds of these things, largely because my eyes glaze over when I try to read outlines. I don't think I have any helpful tips to offer anyone about bar study, but that did seem to work for me.

So then Trey came down to celebrate with me- (yes, shut up.) And then was fine for a couple of days- we really had a good time, and then threw an ENORMOUS conniption very early in the morning, like before 5 on the day of his scheduled return and told me he had stolen my money and my car and gone to Eastside lounge and wanted to go home RIGHT THEN. Which - I was still asleep, and not in any shape to drive anyone, so that did not happen, and he stormed off and then apparently took the shuttle back, leaving his keys in the minivan. Then he is mad at me for not driving them back there.

Well that is his fault. As it turned out, he hadn't taken the car, or my wallet- there was a huge drama about that, but he didn't have to throw a huge conniption and I would have gladly taken him home at a reasonable time in the morning, with keys, and it is not my fault the post office is closed or I would have mailed them, and ya done missed the boat on getting me to drive to Chattanooga, so too bad for you.

Yah, ok, I should just stop but.

Anyway, the fire department came to our Memorial Day cookout, so my predictions of "this is going to be the same thing that we have had for the last 15-odd years" were not entirely true.

Actually, the last time we had a fire at a barbecue was ?1991? when my Dad purchased a propane grill from a ?yard sale? and then we didn't know you had to clean some tubes inside or spiders would nest in there and the thing would blow up. His neighbour who built race cars came and put it out. There was a tremendous amount of flames.

This time, he had spilt something in the oven and the smoke detector called the fire department. I was impressed, particularly by one of the Firefighters. RHS liked him too. I shoulda told him that he needed a will (because of the provision I learnt about where they get a whole bunch of money if something happens in the line of duty under Georgia law) but I didn't have any cards. She was not happy that he was talking to me.

But it wasn't a real fire. O and people I am not supposed to mention in my blog? So we got into a debate, because she was in an argumentative mood, and I am- naturally argumentative- about how first- while the Cadillac, Moby Dick, was taking its lengthy visit with the Grouchy African- Can you adversely possess a car, by the way? Probably. I think it got a mousie in it which had shredded a plastic bag under the seat. Now, yes, I should take it to the swiffy and vacuum it and all but the Swiffy never takes either my card nor my cash, so I have given up on the Swiffy. And then, for some part of this week we also had - ugh. Disassembled the steering column to put a new ignition lock on it because I am putting one of those collars on it to keep it from getting stolen- and the lock that was in it was 19 years old and the car has 254?000 miles? A lot? The speedometer is wildly optimistic, a consequence, I believe, of the previous owner putting enormous wheels on it. So I thought, once the collar goes on, nothing is going to be replaceable inside the column so I went to Autozone and then borrowed all the necessary tools and we got the lock out/off fine.

We couldn't get it back on, and if you want the lengthy explanation, I can give it to you, but we couldn't get the lockplate to go back. Not even after Anthony and I kicked each other, hard. Then I fetched a guy from Autozone and he battled with it for a while, and he couldn't get it back. Then I called AAA and had to explain to the skeptical AAA operator why it needed to be towed.

"It needs to be towed," I said.

"Why, what's wrong with it?" asked the operator.

(embarassed- and also, I was concerned that AAA would decide that the car hadn't broken down, I had taken it apart, and then they might deny me my tow.) "well, the steering wheel is off."

"It came off?" Asked the operator.

"Well, - - Yes!" I decide. It is better than the full explanation, as you can see.

Rick is bemused by the Cadillac returning so soon. It recently got its air conditioner redone. Again.

I rather think he does not appreciate having to reassemble it. I personally do not care what he thinks, what with this many aging cars in my family and self-botched repairs, Rick is probably saving money to buy the pimpiest pimping gear you ever saw.

I bet he'll get a fur coat before I do.

So at any rate, the Cadillac has a few little shreds of plastic bag on the floor, and this person was Very Concerned. She had a dish, wrapped in a plastic bag, (is there a theme here? If a plastic bag had caught fire in the oven, probably) and was Very Concerned that shreds of plastic bag would somehow permeate the bag, into the dish, and we would all choke and die.

"A lot of people," she asserted, "choke on shreds of plastic bag just like that and die every year."

Seriously.

I tried to present how this scenario would work, but she was not having it. She wanted to put Newspaper on the floor of the car.

Now that is her solution to everything, and frankly, I think it is disgusting beyond anything to see filthy newspapers all over everything.

I was not having it, so that was controversial.

Then there was the Matter of the Corn. Of course, modern types no longer boil a large variety of vegetables, we roast them. But she was converted.

Also I went hiking with Amber, and Alex, and Amy, and her boyfriend Joey, and Joe! Much fun was had, and we saw a toad, and a few flowers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home