Tuesday, October 14, 2008

You have unique (knees)

So I went to Nashville this weekend, and- it was absolutely wonderful. Sigh. I was told I had unique (knees) which I was previously unaware of.

Since a number of people have loudly objected to my descriptions, I'll say this:

Three different types of batteries were purchased for my trip.

Since y'all generally object to my other descriptions of what I did, I will now describe the food I cooked. I made: Salad with french fried onions, and bacon; gougeres for the first time which were delicious, and pork roast from one of those pork roast kits? It woulda been awful but I reseasoned it, and added a can of tomatoes and cream of mushroom soup and roasted it in the oven. And I made flourless chocolate cake and quiche.

And I made That Face. A lot.

Well, I guess we'll just see how things go. I can't move because I need to get a job after school and
A) the job market is probably better here than in Nashville; at least it's wider
B) law doesn't work like other university degrees; lawyers hire other lawyers based on the reputation of the school locally. Lotsa lawyers know GSU here, but not so much in Nashville, and we can't compete with Vandy grads. Also there are more federal agencies here, which is where I would really like to work after school. Like SEC! CDC! Fed Reserve!
C) I do NOT want to take more than one bar.

Anyway, I did check with the registrar today. I thought I would be able to finish early in Dec '09, which would save a pile o' bux, but no, it looks like May '10. I do not understand this: I took the 6 credit hours, two classes, during the Austria trip, and then 3 extra credit hours during this term with the externship, so isn't that like 3/4 of a term ahead? Apparently not; I require 90 credit hours to graduate, and at the end of this term will have 53 with 37 left to go. That would be 16 credit hours one term, (like now) 15 Fall '09 but require 6 credit hours of summer classes so no, I do not want to take summer classes.

Now the other day I got free tix to see a play at the Alliance. I heard "free tix to see play" before I thought of which play it was going to be, so I snapped them up- and then discovered it was "Managing Maxine," a play in which a 70 year old lady finds love "for the first time."

So I went with Dean. Let me say this: it was the theatrical equivalent of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese; a fairly acceptable, if bland, and entirely predictable form of entertainment and offering no surprises or really toothsome substance. You may extend the analogy as necessary. I frankly- well, it stirred up my bile. This was the World Premiere and I do not know if there will be a Secondaire but Dean seemed to think it would be headed for Tampa dinner theatre.

Anyway, it featured a fair number of contrived obstacles to the romance between a "feisty" 70 year old lady and a retired federal judge. We were treated to old lady boobs, just so you know.

Also more amusingly, this show offered much opportunity for people watching, as in, the audience was generally really old and frequently entertainingly attired? As in, one of the audience members was wearing a sort of plastic brace thing on his chest? Which completely stopped me in mid comment, I was so shocked.

Dean was equally astonished. WHAT is he wearing? he demanded.

Shhh! I said! It's his exoskeleton or carapace, he's an insectoid! He's half one of those wasps that - if you attract his attention, he'll lay his eggs in you and when they hatch into larvae they'll devour you from the inside out! Don't make eye contact or you'll anger him.

O and at least one audience member got rip-roaringly drunk and felt the need to shout at the performers on stage. I believe we were accosted by this lady after we left the theatre: we were driving alongside her when she, in the back seat still clutching and waving her drink, rolled down her window and shouted "yoo hoo! How y'all doing?"

We were riding in Moby Dick, so I shouted back, "We're having some Grey Poupon!"

This amused the lady. "My brother took us out!" she shouted back.

The unfortunate brother was driving, and objected. "I want to DIE," he observed.

So see, Alex, other people have siblings who publicly embarass them too, you are not alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home