Thursday, June 23, 2005

Insert Clever Title Here

I forgot that I had several other things that I wanted to talk about, or I didn't forget, I just didn't get to them.

I finally figured out what Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is about. I was puzzled for a while, because it doesn't make much sense if you interpret it at face value. The drunk couple fighting and accusing each other of various inadequacies or whatever isn't really interesting or entertaining or play worthy. What I think it's about is a young man, played by Richard Burton, his MOTHER, played by Elizabeth Taylor, and his two half-siblings, played by the other people. Think about the alcohol as symbolic of the blood that they all have that ties them together too. And then see if it doesn't make more sense, because the whole play is about the mother figure accusing him of being inadequate and not living up to her expectations and he is Oedipally jealous of her.
Daniel did not agree with this interpretation but then Daniel isn't always as smart as he likes to think he is.
Also we saw a movie called Suspect Zero, and the interesting thought occurred to me that ALL of the dialogue was entirely superfluous. You could have made the movie silent and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. And we saw something called Blade Trinity, because it featured Parker Posey, and I did not care for it. It was something about Vampires, and Wesley Snipes plays a half Vampire and he is supposed to kill all the vampires, who have resurrected Dracula to help them.
This movie made no sense to me whatsoever, and I don't know if it was just a bad movie or if years of snobbishness has made me dislike this sort of movie, but all the people did was fight in the movie. I admit that some of the special effects were cool, as when the vampires sort of exploded and left fiery skeletons all over. But other than that, I really didn't care who won. I was more interested in how the Blade character managed to finance all the vampire-hunting technology and equipment. It was fairly clear he didn't work at, say, Starbucks during the day, so whence the $$$? I don't know, perhaps that sort of movie is wasted on me. I have no experience with vampires, half vampires, or fighting people, and I don't want to drive at 250 miles an hour through downtown Chicago. It would be much more intriguing for me to watch, for example, a documentary on the history of the turbine car or the Wankel engine.

O and something ELSE interesting happened yesterday! I ran into someone whom I haven't seen since high school, and I have thought about a lot in the intervening years, and this made me feel much better about- certain choices I have made. Wow. One expects that in 12 years that perhaps this person would be doing brilliantly and have wonderful children and so forth, and then one finds out that this person went and married someone who shares a birthday with, say, the late George Burns. This was very astonishing to me, and shocking and all that, it was like if you went to brush your teeth in the morning and then squeezed the toothpaste onto your brush and discovered it tasted like cat food. You would not know what to do. And she was riding around on a motorbike with this chap, too, which I had not expected, and I keep having to think about this and tumble it over and over and over in my head, because it was honestly the thing I have least expected from her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home