Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Fourth of July

We had a short and pleasant Fourth, including Freddy's birthday-
As you may or may not know, certain fireworks are legal in Georgia- unfortunately most of the ones that are legal are kind of lame. Namely, they largely consist of very short fountain-type fireworks. Still, something is better than nothing, and this probably means that in a couple of years we'll get the real things.
The main things that happened are that Naomi had Freddy's birthday dinner at this very pricey Mexican restaurant in Virginia Highlands called Sala de Sabor de Mexico or something like that, and we got one of those Prix Fixe deals which cost $30 each, not including tip and tax. With Tip and tax it was $39 which I think is too expensive. The food was Buford-Highway good but with Virginia Highlands atmosphere which I do not care to pay for, thank you. Consider me declasse or whatever but I go to restaurants to EAT. I don't go anywhere for the ATMOSPHERE. I can look in decorating magazines for that. Freddy had an after party at his house, and that was fun; I managed to get drunk enough to do psychic reading things, the high point of which was when I was telling Chris Simpson he had a lot of conflict within him and around him, and he needed to move to get away from this conflict and Julio up and told him he was gay. Julio did not, as may be expected, bother to make it polite or anything, he just said, Motherfucker, you're gay. This was not as highly resented as I had expected. Chris didn't entirely deny this and went into some detail about an experience he had had that he didn't like some years before; well, having one experience and not liking it proves nothing. If you are, you are.
O and yesterday we saw 28 Days Later, which was DEPRESSING. It was all right up until the protagonists heed the radio broadcast to come to the army base and then gradually destroyed all the people on the army base who had at least come up with a semi-functioning society. I think that the point the director was trying to get to was that there wasn't any difference between the zombies/infected people killing people and the other people killing each other, that society was going to break down no matter what, and I suppose that was also why they showed the main protagonist running around half clothed and bloody as though he were infected. Personally, if I lived in a post apocalyptic society, I would do my damndest to get along with everyone who was left. I thought the message that society was going to destroy itself no matter what was rather bleak. The military people had constructed a good defense system and managed to build something - so why not manage to get along? I didn't like the pessimism. Zombie movies are supposed to have people unite to OVERCOME the zombies.
And I got excited because I saw Cathy's aura in her hands the other night. Black means father figure, blue means anger, green means Searching, pink means nurturing, brown means mother figure and I don't know what some of the other colours mean.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

...And her aura was magenta? Omigod it was magenta. My condolences.

Beep!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home